About University of Newcastle
Our university is built on the principles of equity, service excellence and engagement. The university offers world-class research and diverse programs. We prepare our students to make a difference in the world and drive innovation.
A pathway to success
At UoN we believe that everybody should have the ability and determination to have access to great education and get the best career opportunities that are available. Each year we enrol over 3,000 students and help them achieve a pathway to success in their chosen field of study while supporting them in applying for student loans and grants.
Our university has been making a significant contribution to the Indigenous education system in Australia since the 1970s. Nearly half of the Indigenous medical practitioners in Australia have graduated from UoN. The university has made a huge difference in many lives and helped to empower a vast range of communities.
Our university is known for its innovative approach to education and our diverse dynamic teaching culture that offers world-class educational outcomes. Our students are known as some of the best and the brightest worldwide.
Our university offers intensive research and development programs that we achieve by collaborating with our partners in industry, business, government and the general community here and all over the world. Our vision for the future is to continue to build our research capacity and maintain our title as one of the world’s best research and global innovation leaders in the field.
University of Newcastle Services
Indigenous Accommodation loans are aimed at students who need to relocate from remote areas to study at the University of Newcastle.
If this applies to you, you can apply by completing the online loan application form on our website visit: www.uac.edu.au/equity
To apply for a scholarship you will need to meet certain criteria this includes:
- The student must be enrolled at the University of Newcastle and be studying in an undergraduate or postgraduate program
- The student will need to show that they are experiencing financial difficulty and undergo a means-test. This means test will take into account support payments such as Austudy, ABSTUDY and Youth allowance
- The student could apply if they have relocated from a remote location to study on UON
You will need to supply supporting documentation that applies to your student loan application.
The scholarship provides the student with a total of $5500 per annum that is paid over two instalments of $2750 after semester 1 and semester 2 census.
A pro-rata fee of $1375 will be charged if the student is only enrolled part-time.
University of Newcastle Product Details
- Loan Type Student loans
Summary of Services
- Affordable student loans
- Flexible repayment terms
University of Newcastle - We will help you cover the cost of your studies
There are a number of financial assistance options available to students to help them cover the cost of their studies. Some financial solutions include:
- HELP – (Higher Education Loan Program)
- Student loans and welfare programs
- Income assistance
A HELP loan allows you to delay your student contribution or tuition fee and pay them off later through the tax system once the student is earning the minimum salary threshold. Only once the student earns the agreed upon salary will they need to start paying for the HELP loan.
There are 4 main types of HELP loans they are:
- HECS – HELP this assistance is for Commonwealth supported students
- FEE-HELP this is for students who want to study overseas
- SA- HELP this is to help students to pay for their fees and amenities
The HECS – HELP Benefit
This loan is for students that study a particular course and will work in that particular area when they complete their studies.
Student loans and Welfare
Other financial assistance can be student loans and Welfare assistance.
Student loans are interest-free loans that are available to students that need them in order to complete their studies.
To criteria to apply for this type of loan are as follows:
- The student must be enrolled in the University of Newcastle
- The student must have completed at least one full semester of studies
- The student must have a good academic score and be in good academic standing
- The student can’t have any outstanding debt owing to the University of Newcastle
- The student will need to show that they are experiencing financial difficulty
- In the case of a loan, the student will need to show that they will be able to make the loan repayments.
You will need to supply the following:
- A completed copy of your Student Financial Assistance application form
- Two forms of ID one must be your UON student card
- Your current bank statement
- Your Centrelink statement is applicable
- Evidence of your expenses including bills, rent receipts, slips from purchases of books and evidence of any educational costs)
Once you apply for a student loan there will be a minimum waiting period of between 7 and 10 days before the funds will be paid to the university.
Customer Reviews & Testimonials
The application and approval process was pretty easy and fast, took about 10 days for the money to reflect in my account.
— Newcastle —
In order to study at the University of Newcastle, I had to move in from a small rural town, I was able to not only get a loan to help me cover my academic expenses, but UN also offers loans to he...
— Newcastle —
A very simple application process that doesn't require mountains and mountains of supporting documents, real-time and stress saver!
— Newcastle —