About Bank SA
We were established and have been part of South Australia since 11th of March 1948; our life began as a one-man business. The Savings Bank of South Australia is the ancestors of today’s Bank SA.
The same day John Hector, the only employee opened the bank's books and doors and when the first deposit was made to mark the Savings Bank as the Peoples Bank for many generations to come single room office was offered by the Glen Osmond Union Mining Company, in Gawker Place, Adelaide which was rent free.
The first customer
- An Afghan Shepherd was our very first person who entrusted his life savings of 29 pounds, with the newly formed bank. Croppo signed his name with an X, because like so many others in the early day’s Croppo was Illiterate, the teller recorded his name as Croppo Sing (a verbalised explanation of Singh)
- The deposit was made by William Fowler of Lake Victoria, who at the time was Singh’s employer, the deposit was incorrectly recorded in Fowler’s name but was corrected later and this cemented Croppo Singh’s place in the history of the South Australian Bank as well as the state.
- Our Century – In 1948 for the anniversary of The Savings Bank Australia it was published on the first day of business that twelve other citizens, perhaps with a little hesitation, lodged deposits totalling 172 pounds, six shillings
The first loans
Within a month the amateur bank made its first-ever personal loan. Throughout the bank's history, the loan was typically used for housing and farming. John Colton was able to purchase two acres of land, build a stone house with seven rooms, a cottage and stables with the advance he got from the bank in the amount of 500 pounds.
Bank SA Services
Many prominent South Australians from the early years throughout its history have been associated with the Savings Bank of South Australia.
Lieutenant Governor, Lt. Colonel F.H. Robe, who held the position of president of the bank at the time appointed South Australia's first premier, B.T. Finnis as a member of the bank's first Board of Trustees
Consolidating your debts
Are you perhaps juggling several debts? You can take back control of your life with debt consolidation; you only have to worry about one interest rate, one monthly repayment, and a little less stress.
When you have multiple debts like credit cards or personal loans knocking on your doorstep, it’s understandable that this can be very challenging!
Sick and tired of struggling with juggling multiple repayments that are out of control? Bank SA is able to help you with a debt consolidation loan that will help manage your repayments and all you will need to manage is one simple unsecured personal loan, one monthly payment, and one interest rate.
You have the choice of repaying your loan by monthly, weekly or every fortnightly. We also offer long and short-term loan terms between one and seven years for flexible interest rate loans and for fixed interest rate loans you can choose between one and five years, this will assist in creating a more manageable repayment budget.
Watch as your debt decreases after each payment because our instalments pay both the interest and principal, this should encourage you to work towards your settlement date.
Bank SA Product Details
- Loan Type Debt consolidation loans
- Interest Rate from 7.89%
- Loan Amount up to $4,000
- Repayment 1 year to 7 years
Summary of Services
- Simple debt consolidation
- Apply online
- Get a debt assessment
Bank SA - Fast application
You can apply for a loan online which takes all of 10 minutes. You are able to borrow between $2 000 and $40 000.
Are you in need of help?
- Get back on track with your finances all you need to do is set a date, take control of your debt with a consolidation loan today! And get ready for action.
- Should you need any help, you can find your nearest branch and we can assist you by working through it together if you have missed a payment and want to catch up, let us assist you to get things in order.
- If you feel that you could catch up on payment within three months of the due date one of our Customer Care Solutions Team will be able to assist you.
- Life has a way of throwing the unexpected and we understand that. Sometimes financial difficulty arises for many different reasons such as illness, reduced cash flow, relationship breakdowns, loss of income and natural disasters.
- But don't feel alone, we are here to assist you! Apply online today.
- Once you’ve completed your quick loan application, we’ll be in touch within three working days.
We have dedicated consultants in each state that will work closely with you to understand your situation and advice on what the next step will be.
Customer Reviews & Testimonials
Bank SA treated me like family and not just another customer.
— Adelaide —
Keeping up with all my debts was proving to be more and more difficult so I decided to consolidate my debts to alleviate some of the pressure. I’m so glad I did because now my repayments are very...
— Melbourne —
A couple of minutes is all it took to apply for my debt consolidation loan.
— Sydney —
Bank SA Contact Details
- 77 Jetty Rd Glenelg SA 5045 Australia
- Get Directions
- BankSA GPO Box 399, Adelaid, 5001, Australia
- Monday 09:30 – 16:00
- Tuesday 09:30 – 16:00
- Wednesday 09:30 – 16:00
- Thursday 09:30 – 16:00
- Friday 09:30 – 17:00
- Saturday – Closed
- Sunday – Closed